Course Catalogue: Diploma of Community Services (Alcohol and other drugs)
This qualification applies to workers providing services to clients in relation to alcohol and other drugs issues.
- Includes counselling, referral, advocacy and education/health promotion services
- Requires high level specialist knowledge, skills and competencies especially in regard to laws affecting clients, the range of services available to them and health issues related to alcohol and drug use and misuse.
Occupational titles may include:
- Alcohol and drugs worker
- Community rehabilitation and support worker
- Community support worker
To gain entry into this qualification a candidate must:
- Be recently appointed or currently working in a community support alcohol and other drugs work role and have a relevant recognised higher education or vocational education qualification at Certificate IV or above
- Be recognised as competent, through a recognised training program or recognition process, against the following qualification (or equivalent): Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Have sufficient work experience in the relevant sector to indicate likely success at this level of qualification in a job role involving:
The application of knowledge with depth in some areas and demonstration of a broad range of technical and other skills
A wide range of tasks and roles in a variety of contexts, with complexity in the range and choices of actions required
The exercise of discretionary judgment and decision making under general guidance
Who should enrol for this course?
The course is pitched at the existing workforce within an Aboriginal Alcohol and Other Drug context, whether working in residential or community settings. It is also suitable for those working in other health settings and looking to transfer into the Alcohol and Other Drug field of work with appropriate Certificate IV qualifications or equivalent experience.
Units of Competency
Listed below are the fifteen core units that are required for this qualification:
- CHCPOL501A Access evidence and apply in practice 55
- CHCAOD512A Develop and implement a behaviour response plan 60
- HLTOHS400A Maintain OHS processes 40
- CHCMH504D Provide a range of services to people with mental health issues 150
- CHCAOD511B Provide advanced interventions to meet the needs of clients with alcohol and/or other drug issues 90
- CHCAD504A Provide advocacy and representation 80
- CHCICS305A Provide behaviour support in the context of individualised plans 35
- CHCPROM503A Provide community focused promotion and prevention strategies 60
- CHCAOD513A Provide relapse prevention strategies 55
- CHCCS504A Provide services to clients with complex needs 60
- CHCORG428A Reflect on and improve own professional practice 40
- CHCCOM403A Use targeted communication skills to build relationships 55
- CHCAOD402A Work effectively in the alcohol and other drugs sector 50
- CHCAOD510A Work effectively with clients with complex alcohol and/or other drug issues 75
2 core units are already covered in the Certificate IV Alcohol and Other Drugs – the referred pathway for this course. If not already covered and assessed these must be successfully completed through Assessment or Recognition
- CHCCOM403A Use targeted communication skills to build relationships
- CHCAOD402A Work effectively in the alcohol and other drugs sector
2 elective units are required. The approach taken in this offering ensures that the electives cover the core units from the Diploma of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Primary Health Care (Community Care) which are essential pre-requisites to the Advanced Diploma of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Primary Health Care (Community Care) qualification, which provides an articulate pathway to specific degree study at partner Universities.
For non-Aboriginal and non-Torres Strait Islander students alternative electives that cover similar subject matter are offered to ensure completion and qualification compliance.
- HLTAHW505A Support and promote social and emotional well being of staff and clients 80
- HLTAHW506A Apply a strategic approach to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander health 170
- HLTAHW411A Plan, develop and evaluate health promotion for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities 150
- CHCCW503A Work intensively with clients 75
- BSBFLM403B Implement effective workplace relationships 45
- CHCCOM504A Develop, implement and promote effective workplace communication 45
- BSBFLM512A Ensure team effectiveness 60
Nominal course hours: 750 Hours