Course Catalogue: Workplace Diversity
The course offers the opportunity to:
- Improve and reflect upon cultural awareness in your workplace and work practices when working with people from a variety of backgrounds and circumstances
- Accept and embrace cultural diversity as a basis for effective workplace and professional relationships to increase performance and harmony
- Communicate effectively with culturally diverse persons
- Resolve cross cultural misunderstandings.
Participants will be given the opportunity to reflect on and analyse the impact of societal and workplace influences and attitudes to gender, cultural and sexual expression upon individuals and specific groups within society. Participants will be introduced to good practice approaches for interacting and engaging with clients and co-workers and to alternative ways of viewing culture, gender and sexuality.
Open and frank discussion is welcomed and encouraged. The subject will provide you with sound underpinning knowledge, personal insight, and practical skills for working with a diverse range of clients in a sensitive and culturally appropriate way.
Who should enrol for this course?
Priority will be given to workers requiring this unit for effective competence in their current position/role within member services.
Any other vacancies may be filled by other workers within Member Services and then by other Aboriginal Health and Community Services workers.
Aboriginal community members, especially Board members are also eligible.
Units of Competency
The course is aligned to meet the following units of competency:
Unit of competency Nominal hours
- CHCCS405A Work effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers - 30
- HLTHIR403B Work effectively with culturally diverse, clients, and co-workers - 30
Expected face to face hours: 16 hours