Course Catalogue: Certificate III in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Primary Health Care
Workers seeking enrolment in or credit for this qualification must be able to demonstrate current competence in the compulsory competency units required for Certificate III in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Primary Health and in any competency units identified as individual pre-requisites for specific elective units.
The Certificate III qualification is regarded as the minimum vocational entry level requirement for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander health work.
Workers at this qualification level provide health care services to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander clients. They usually work as part of a team, with ongoing supervision and guidance. Workers at this qualification level are generally given the Title of Aboriginal health worker.
Who should enrol for this course?
Enrolment within this course will focus on recruiting students from the following in order:
- New and existing Aboriginal Health Workers needing to gain a starting qualification for further study or Recognition or to meet current vocational requirements
- Aboriginal workers seeking a career transition without a readily transferrable qualification pathway
- Community members seeking entry into Aboriginal Health work (particular if sponsored by a member service)
Units of Competency
13 Compulsory Units:
- BSBIN201A Process and maintain workplace information
- HLTAHW301B Work in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait islander Primary Health care context
- HLTAHW302B Facilitate communication between clients and service providers
- HLTAHW303B Advocate for the rights and needs of the community members
- HLTAHW304B Undertake basic health assessments
- HLTAHW305B Plan and implement basic health care
- HLTAHW306A Provide information about social and emotional support
- HLTAHW307B Identify community health issues, needs and strategies
- HLTAHW308A Assist with basic health screening, promotion and education services
- HLTFA 301C Apply First Aid
- HLTIN301C Comply with infection control policies and procedures in health work
- HLTOHS300B Contribute to OHS processes
- HLTPOP307C Provide information and support on environmental health issues
Units of Competency:
- CHCCHILD401A Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- BSBWOR204A Use business Technology