Course Catalogue: Certificate III in Community Services Work
This qualification applies to community work delivered through a broad range of services which provide support to individuals and groups.
This level is appropriate for support workers, case workers and client contact officers and generally, these positions:
- Have direct contact with clients
- Identify presenting needs
- Refer to appropriate services and support.
At this level support workers and case workers may provide day-to-day support in community settings and/or provide assistance with entitlements and benefits under the broad direction of others.
Emotional and practical support may be provided face to face or over the telephone to assist the client and enable an accurate referral to be achieved.
This qualification is available as a broad-based qualification or with a focus on either community services or community development work.
Occupational titles may include:
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander community development worker
- Neighbourhood centre worker
- Client contact
- Recreational activities officer (weekend)
- Community care worker
- Residential support worker
- Assistant community workers (focusing on community health primarily in an Indigenous Community)
- Indigenous youth worker
- Intake and referral worker (Aboriginal)
- Youth housing support worker
- Support worker (community based with an orientation toward any or a number of the following: youth, women, families, domestic violence, child protection)
- Tenants working in a range of areas
- Youth case worker (community health service setting – non residential)
- Juvenile justice court officer
- Juvenile justice officer
- Youth worker
- Juvenile justice officer (community)
Sourced from CHC08 Training Package Qualification rules Version2.1 referenced at www.ntis.gov.au
Who should enrol for this course?
Enrolment within this course will focus on recruiting students from the following in order:
New and existing workers working in an Aboriginal community setting with Aboriginal clients and communities without prior qualifications and needing to gain at least an entry level qualification.
Aboriginal Workers seeking a career transition with appropriate workplace access and life experience.
Community members seeking to enter the workforce especially if sponsored by a member service
Units of Competency
Listed below are the eleven core units that are required for this qualification:
- CHCADMIN305D Work within the administration protocols of the organization
- CHCCOM302C Communicate appropriately with clients and colleagues
- CHCCS308B Provide first point of contact
- CHCORG303A Participate effectively in the work environment
- CHCOHS312A Follow safety procedures for direct care work
- HLTOHS300A Contribute to OHS processes
- CHCCS411A Work effectively in the community sector
- CHCNET301D Participate in networks
- CHCCD412A Work within a community development framework
As per the Training Package Guidelines stated on Page 1 of this document there are a range of electives that can be selected or used for Recognition purposes. However, at the Aboriginal Health College the following five elective units are offered in a clustered approach to learning to complete this qualification in a recommended pathway. This pathway best fits the needs of services working with Aboriginal communities within an Aboriginal health context:
- HLTHIR404C Work effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- HLTAHW301A Work in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Primary Health Care context
- CHCAOD402A Work effectively in the alcohol and other drugs sector
- CHCCS301A Work within a legal and ethical framework
- CHCCS401B Facilitate responsible behavior
- CHCCS422A Respond holistically to client issues and refer appropriately
NB: The core units CHCOHS312A Follow safety procedures for direct care work and HLTOHS300A Contribute to OHS processes are both offered, taught and assessed as part of the course structure
Nominal course hours
Expected face to face hours = 140 hours plus site visits and potential online/teleconference connection.